Lingual braces are similar to traditional braces in design but are placed on the backside of the teeth. They provide patients with a discreet and effective option for correcting orthodontic dental concerns.
Izadi Orthodontics custom designs each bracket using digital images of the patient’s teeth. The metal is molded to fit snugly against the back of the tooth, reducing contact with the soft tissues of the mouth. Like traditional braces, each bracket is attached using a wire that is tightened over the course of treatment to gradually shift the teeth and jaw into alignment.
Benefits of Lingual Braces
Lingual braces offer a range of benefits unique to this innovative orthodontic treatment. They are attached to the backside of the teeth, eliminating the risk of visible tooth discoloration often associated with metal braces.
Lingual braces can realign teeth without the social stigma that braces often carry. Patients enjoy a discreet and effective treatment without worrying about what their peers or coworkers may think.
What are the benefits of Lingual Braces?
- Discreet and nearly invisible to others
- Reduce the risk of visible tooth discoloration
- Effective for realigning crooked teeth
- Custom designed and fabricated for comfort
Maintenance & Care of Lingual Braces
Oral hygiene is especially important while wearing braces. Lingual braces can be cared for and maintained much like traditional metal braces. Keeping your lingual braces clean can reduce the risk of post-treatment tooth sensitivity and decay.
- Brush regularly- at least twice a day, but after each meal is often recommended. Use a soft rounded toothbrush to gently and thoroughly clean all surfaces of the teeth and the lingual braces.
- Irrigate- using an irrigation device can flush out debris that may become trapped in the brackets. It is more difficult to see if something is stuck on them because they are on the backside of your teeth. Irrigation devices can help keep lingual braces clean, reducing the risk of tooth decay.
- Floss- flossing, even while wearing lingual braces, can help keep your teeth clean and healthy. Flossing can remove debris from between the teeth and prevent any food particles from becoming lodged in your braces.
Our orthodontic care team may provide additional personalized recommendations for cleaning and care of your lingual braces based on your personal orthodontic condition.
Lingual Braces FAQ
Are lingual braces as effective as traditional braces?
They are effective and can help bring balance to patients to bite and realign their crooked teeth. Dr. Izadi will help patients determine if lingual braces will be as effective as traditional braces based on their personal goals and concerns.
Are lingual braces painful?
As with all orthodontic treatments, patients may experience some minor discomfort during the first few days of treatment. Ibuprofen can be used to subside discomfort. Any discomfort should subside within a few days.
Do lingual braces require special care?
Because lingual braces are attached to the back of the teeth it is important to thoroughly clean the brackets. It may be slightly more difficult to clean the braces. With good oral hygiene and regular visits to your dentist, you should be able to maintain oral hygiene while wearing them.